Thursday, July 12, 2012

I'm on a BOAT!

The last day of school came whether I liked it or not.  I was happy to say goodbye to the end of year crazy students, but I was ever so dreading saying goodbye to the amazing people I had worked with for the past 3 years. 


So after saying goodbye to these guys...


And these lovely ladies...

I was feeling rather sad.  Luckily that very same last day of school Brad and Luke, and I hopped on a plane to Houston.  For the next 5 days Brad and I were going to be cruising in the Caribbean!  That helped my ease my blues about leaving my friends!

We had a great time just eating, laying out, reading, eating, sleeping, people watching, and did I mention eating?  So much food!  We had some great companions who joined us for our excellent dinners each night and we worked our way through the breakfast and lunch buffets each day. 


In Progresso, Mexico we decided to not book an excurision and just try our luck walking around.  Luckily some guy offered to drive us around in his van for "very cheap."  He seemed legit so we hopped right in! 


He took us to some really cool ruins.  It was real hot but we climbed around on them anyway.  It is amazing that something that old can still be standing!  Most ruins you can no longer touch and climb on, but these ones were not going to be closed to touching for a few more months.  Hooray for us!



Then he took us to this private beach.  It was, well, a beach.  I am not a big beach person.  I know shock and gasp, but I just don't like being all sandy and I do not like salt water!  But Brad enjoyed swimming around, while I watched from the beach and tried not to let sand get everywhere!  The guy then took us back to our starting place and we bargined our way into a few purchases.  So moral of this story... getting in vans with people you don't know, who don't speak your language is a-okay!


Our next stop was Cozemel, Mexico.  Here we booked an excursion to go horse back riding.  We were sure excited!  Plus... look at the cool helmuts we got to wear.  Jealous?  Our horses were not big, but we don't know how to ride horses so that was probably a good thing!  Brad's didn't do anything he told him to do, but he followed the other horses so it was okay.  Mine seemed to be in a fight with a few of the horses and if we rode by those other horses, he would bite them or ram them.  Which made the trip a little more exciting!  I didn't know horse back riding was quite so bumpy and painful so I kept my little horse at a nice walk in order to lessen the bounce!  Really though it was a really pretty ride through a forest/jungle.  We got to see some more ruins and learn about Mayan marriage customs...  



Our last day on the boat we just had to play some shuffleboard. No, neither of us know how to play so we made up our own rules. I somehow lost every game so I think the rules we made up must have been wrong.


While we were on the boat, Luke stayed with his grandma and grandpa in Houston.  He played everyday with these four rascals so he didn't miss us one bit.  I think he actually wished that we would leave him in Houston.

No comments: