And because I know some people only look at pictures on blogs here is the latest from Luke. He has decided to become a climber. Yes, I know, we are in trouble.
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Ego
I love teaching middle school! You know why? Well, many reasons, but one thing I have enjoyed as of late is that I get to tell all my funny stories from middle school, high school, and college to people who haven't heard them 20 times before. And how often can you force a group of 30 people to listen to you talk about yourself? Love it! I love reminiscing about being young and love it when the kids actually realize that I was a kid once too. "You have facebook Mrs Stewart?" one girl asked me yesterday, incredulous that I am young enough to know anything about having a social life. When I tell them how I used to run around scaring 7th graders in the hallways they just can't believe it. (I tell that to my 7th grade class when I am explaining that I've always had a dislike for 7th graders) Our vocabulary word this week is rebuff (to reject or snub) and when I told them that I never rebuffed anyone in college because I wouldn't dare turn down a free meal they suddenly think I was this heart-breaker that used boys whenever I wanted. Oh how far they are from the truth! I always break the ice with my students at the beginning of the year by having them write their most embarrassing moments and I share mine which involves strawberry soda, a party, and of course a sometimes uncontrollable bodily function. When I say the word fart in front of a class full of 13 and 14 year olds they just can't believe it. There are always a few seconds of silence when they all look at each other to confirm they just heard that word from a teacher before they decide it is okay to laugh. So as I was sharing all the "trite" (this week's word as well) phrases I used in middle school like "talk to the hand" or "cry me a river" I decided that really my ego needs me to teach school for the rest of my life. My ego and Brad because lets face it. He can only hear how funny I am so many times before he wants to cut his ears off.
And because I know some people only look at pictures on blogs here is the latest from Luke. He has decided to become a climber. Yes, I know, we are in trouble.

And because I know some people only look at pictures on blogs here is the latest from Luke. He has decided to become a climber. Yes, I know, we are in trouble.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Don't you love that your son thinks he is so cool because he can climb on things ;) That is a fun stage!
That's one of the things I loved about teaching college. My students always laughed with me (or at me?). It was such an ego boost!
I LOVE this picture of Luke. Made me laugh instantly. SO cute. AND yes I also love your ego boosting career story ;)
Post a Comment