Sunday, November 1, 2009

TEENAGERS!

I spend most of my life surrounded by teenagers; I coach them, I teach them, I go to church with them, spend my weekends with them. But, despite what you may think, I am not miserable. I love the newness of everyday. One day I'll have a student that just can't sit down and the next day he'll be picture perfect. I just never know what to expect. I love my students (most days) and appreciate their humor and excitement. I have even found myself laughing at their incredibly immature humor. Their fresh perspective definitely rubs off on us teachers and we have a lot of immature fun together. This is the English department on twin day showing how we "team up against drugs!"I also recently finished coaching volleyball. Let me tell you, that was quite the experience. I never before appreciated how much time coaches put in. Amazing! The girls were a lot of fun and I loved watching them succeed. They were so inconsistent that sometimes I threatened to leave the games, but in the end we did get better. And I hope they had fun. Basketball starts in December and we've had a few open gyms. It is nice to play with the orange ball again, especially because I actually know what I am talking about when I am coaching basketball. The girls seem pretty good, but I am a little nervous about the crazy intensity that is Indiana Basketball. An offense for 8th graders? Let's get them to dribble first!Finally I am the 1st counselor in the young womens. I love it. The girls are so inspiring. They are truly examples to me. The only problem is that our young women's president had her baby 6 weeks early. So guess who is in charge? That's right! Me! Gulp... So far there have been no break downs, but give it time. This last weekend we had a temple trip to the Louisville Temple. It's so great to go and feel the spirit of the temple and those great kids. Also we always go to Red Robin afterward because there isn't a close one to us here in Indianapolis. I just love their barbecue sauce! Oh and I have to give a shout-out to my wonderful husband who gets up at 5:30 on a Saturday morning to go to the temple with the youth even though he doesn't have to.

No comments: