Monday, May 18, 2009

Half Marathon!


Well, I did it. I am half-way to my lifetime goal of running a marathon. I ran a half marathon, which is 13.1 miles, this last Saturday. The weather forecast called for lightning and thunder so I was relieved that the rain held of until I crossed the finish line. It was a beautiful course around a reservoir, but there was a lot more up hill than I thought even existed in Indiana. I felt like I was running in Utah again! I was able to pass people on those uphills though because of my long years of Utah running. I was a little slower than I wanted to be, but I finished without walking! I finished in 2 hours and 11 minutes. I kept a nine minute mile pace until my last three miles. That is when the fact that I forgot to take Advil before my run like I usually do really hurt me. My legs felt like lead and I really struggled to get them going. But I kept going and kept reminding myself that if the Biggest Loser contestants could run a marathon I can do a half! Boy was I glad when I finally saw Brad and knew that the end was near. My body revolted big time after and rejected the apple I gave it. It wasn't so happy that I made it run for so long. It was a good experience and I can't wait to start training for my next run. Okay... I can. Give me a few months and I will be ready to run again. That night Brad kept saying how exhausted he was because he had to wake up at 5:30 to get me to the race on time. Poor boy! Maybe next time he'll run the race and then really have something to complain about. Probably not, but miracles happen everyday right?


This is how fast I was running! Impressive huh?

7 comments:

Liz Busby said...

Hey, I ran a half last Saturday too! Granted, it was a training run for the real half in 4 weeks, and my pace was more like 3 hours, but still. I'm proud of ya Kim.

Beware, though, marathons are addicting.

Sarah Moeck said...

heavens to I am so impressed! I could never do that.

Jenalee said...

You're so tough, and so is Brad for getting up early to stadn around while you ran.

Kanani said...

Ah KIM!! You did what I want to do! Good for you! Thats way sweet. When are you going to do you Marathon? And geeze, your a speed demon!

Jared and Lauren said...

Congrats thats awesome! I don't think I'll run another race after experiencing the Ragnar.

Jenae said...

You're a superstar! I wish I could run like you! What are you doing with yourself this summer? We'll see you at LP, can't wait!

Scott and Jamie said...

Congrats on doing this! I would never have the patience or endurance to do something like this. 30 minutes on the eliptical machine is good enough for me!