Sunday, March 4, 2012

Finding Fun

I am reading a book called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. It is a non-fiction book about a woman's quest to make her life happier. What I like about it is that she didn't run away from her own life to find happiness, she stayed in her life and made herself happier. My aunt recommended this book and she has never steered me wrong on reading so I thought I'd pick it up. So glad I did. I am about half-way and I feel like I need to reread what I have read so I can take notes and change my life. The chapter I am reading right now is entitled "Be Serious about Play" During this part of her project she found ways to have more fun in her life. This seems easy, but she actually had a difficult time figuring out what she found fun. The key part of this was finding something that she found fun and not things that the others deemed fun or things she thought she should find fun. She had to give up aspirations of finding fun in going to the ballet, going clubbing, or even shopping. She had to figure out what was fun for her.

This all got me thinking... what do I do for fun? What do I wish I had more time for in my life? If I wanted to add more fun in my life what would I do? And again I need to not confuse my fun with things that I think should be fun or things others find fun. Here is what I came up with...

  • reading: specifically young adult literature and chick-lit. But I do find fun in reading lots of different things. The most fun is starting a new book. I love getting new books!
  • cooking new dinners
  • playing sports
  • playing board games
  • coloring (I do it a lot with my primary class)
  • talking on the phone to my friends
  • buying things at Target
  • going to the pool
  • going on walks
  • taking Luke to the park
  • planting flowers
  • going to dinner
  • running races
  • talking about books or teaching good books
  • dancing
  • going on outings
  • planning trips
  • scrapbooking
  • going to the movies
Now the key is to make sure I get more of those things in my life and spend less time on unnecessary things that just take up my life. What about you? What do you do for fun that may not be the most traditional "fun" thing?

3 comments:

Kat said...

I need to read this book!!!

Talia said...

I just finished that book and loved it! Who recommended it to you? I loved the fact that the author is just a regular person who decided to be happier, and not because of anything traumatic or by doing anything really outrageous.

Tyler + Nicole said...

I really like this :) what aunt recommended it? I need to get this book. I am gonna do what you did and write down what I find fun. I think its a fantastic idea.