Thursday, February 26, 2009

Amazing 8th Graders

Today I have been grading cause and effect essays written by the eighth graders I have inherited thanks to a maternity leave. This is the first real work I am grading of these new students so I am kind of figuring out how much they know. Apparently, they know very little. One student wrote that one cause of WWII is Albert Einstein. Yeah I guess him being so smart was a huge threat to the world. Another student claimed that D-day was a cause of WWII. Now I can't understand why millions of men would attack at a beach in Normandy if there wasn't already a war going on but what do I know? I am only an English teacher. Then I had a student tell me that waiting to have sex until you are married is impossible. Wow! It's amazing. Was I this blatantly ignorant when I was an eighth grader? I hope not.

2 comments:

Mandy Stephens said...

Ha Ha! That's pretty funny! I like to think I knew more than that in 8th grade too! :)

Matt and Stacy said...

That's hillarious. I'm finding that high school students don't know much more! : ) Okay, maybe a little, but they continue to amaze me every day.